Monday, September 11, 2006

First, an explanation of the title: While sitting in my friend's living room one day she commented that I should write a book about my life. I sat there thinking to myself "This is the third time that someone has said that to me. What, pray tell, is so interesting about my life?" This was accompanied by my other friend's suggestion of a title that included vulgar language and Dr Phil (let your mind wander), but that has little to do with anything, it's just kind of amusing. He then proceeded to comment that people's lives revolved around me and that if I disappeared their worlds would come to an end. Now I found this just a tad extreme. However, it was slightly applicable. I had become known as the "Dear Abby" within my group of friends, and as a stage manager in theater I had people that barely knew me finding solace in me and confiding in me. I had become a therapist for many people, as well as a mediator, and confidant.

I have always found this slightly ironic considering that I myself rarely take the advice from myself that I should, but that's ok, because my friends take it for me. I dole out advice, they most likely follow. If there is no advice involved, I at least usually prevent breakdowns, screaming, fights, break ups, or a little bit of all of it. I am the reason and maturity. How that happened I will never know, but I have accepted my position, begrudgingly most times, but I have accepted it none the less. It is because of this position that I know all and see all. I am the center of the infamous "loop". Yes, that is rather nonsensical, but then again I feel that me as a therapist is too.

However, it is because of this position that I am able to write a blog dedicated to the craziness of my life as the next "Dear Abby". As Lucy in the Peanuts used to post outside her booth, "The Doctor Is In", but then again I am in 24/7 much unlike Lucy. Ah, to be a cartoon.

No comments: